Shoulder bags are one of the most popular styles this season. Why not make your own customizable bag for the summer? Change up the colour, size, and thickness of the bag depending on the look you want.
- Worsted weight yarn in your desired color
- Crochet hook suitable for the yarn weight
- Yarn needle
- Magnetic snap closure or zipper (optional)
- Fabric lining (optional)
- Shoulder strap or handles
- ch: chain
- st: stitch
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- dc: double crochet
- sl st: slip stitch
1. Begin by making a slip knot and chaining the length of your bag horizontally.
2. Ch 1, turn. Work 1 sc in each st across.
3. Ch 1, turn. Repeat your single crochet rows until your work measures the desired width for the base of your bag. The base should be a rectangle shape. Fasten off.
1. Join the yarn to one of the corners of the base with a slip stitch.
2. Ch 1, work 1 sc in the same corner st.
3. Work 1 sc evenly along the sides and bottom of the base, placing 3 sc in each corner.
4. Join with a sl st to the first sc. (Total number of sc will depend on the size of your base)
5. Ch 1, work 1 sc in the same st.
6. Work 1 sc in each st around.
7. Join with a sl st to the first sc.
Repeat these rounds until your bag reaches the desired height, keeping in mind that you’ll need to leave room for the flap and closure if you want to add one. Fasten off.
1. Decide on the width and length of your flap. Typically, it should be slightly wider than the base.
2. Join the yarn to the top corner of the back of your bag.
3. Ch 1, work 1 sc in the same corner st.
4. Work 1 sc in each st across.
5. Ch 1, turn. Work 1 sc in each st across.
6. Ch 1, turn. Repeat these rows until your flap reaches the desired length. Fasten off.
1. Chain the length you want your handle to be.
2. Ch 1. Single crochet into the foundation chain.
3. At the end of the row, ch 1, and repeat the single crochets until your handle is the width you desire.
4. Attach the handles using slip stitches.
- Weave in any loose ends.
- Attach a magnetic snap closure or sew in a zipper to keep the bag securely closed.
- Add a fabric lining to the bag for durability and a finished look.
Your crocheted shoulder bag is now complete! Customize it with your favorite colors and embellishments to make it uniquely yours. It’s perfect for carrying your essentials while adding a touch of handmade charm to your outfit.